A cricket fan named Babulal Bariya from Madhya Pradesh’s Ratlam district had attempted suicide after Virat Kohli failed in the first innings against South Africa. The Indian skipper had managed to score only five runs much to the despair of the fans who had huge expectations from him.
Though nobody must have taken the extreme step taken by Babulal in the disappointment. However, he succumbed to his burn injuries on Tuesday and passed away leaving his family in tears.
He was extremely hurt after Virat Kohli was dismissed at the fag end of the first day’s play in Cape Town, after which he poured Kerosene on his head to set himself ablaze.
His wife was the first to spot him while shouting after getting burned and was immediately rushed to the district hospital for the treatment. He had burnt himself a lot by then but was under observation for last three days.
The unfortunate incident occurred on Saturday last week after Virat Kohli edged a delivery outside the outside the off-stump off Morne Morkel.
Babulal Bariya used to live in Ratlam’s Ambedkar Nagar, the area which comes under the jurisdiction of station road police station. Ram Singh, the assistant sub-inspector (ASI) informed that Babulal was very upset and also drunk after the dismissal of Kohli. Singh also cleared that he was almost 60% burnt when the treatment was started on him.
“Bariya told us that when Kohli got out ‘uska dimag satak gaya’ (he was very upset). He took a bottle of kerosene nearby and poured it on his head and set himself ablaze. When family members came to know what he had done after he started shouting, they immediately rushed him to the district hospital for treatment.
He had received burn injuries on his face, head and hands. He had received around 60 % burn injuries,” Ram Singh was quoted as saying by Hindustan Times.
It is good that the cricket fans in the country are so passionate but they should also understand that the cricketers are also human beings and they are bound to fail while playing.